Here I post articles from my Star Trek Fanzine: Sehlat's Roar. I hope to place all of the work online for fan's enjoyment. This Fanzine was first published in the late 1970's by a band of most unlikely friends located in Flat Rock, in the southeastern quadrant of Michigan. The material is clearly born of the time, and some of it is quite dated; yet, for those who enjoy this sort of thing, I trust, at the least, interesting.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Part 2

In his quarters, Spock apologized in advance. “Events began to move so fast that I had no time to clear my work or prepare for your visit. Please forgive the deficiencies of my hospitality.”

While Kirk and McCoy were still politely disclaiming, Spock crouched before a small cabinet. From it he unearthed bottle after bottle. The humans looked at each other in astonishment, then rose to help him carry the collection to the table. McCoy spotted a familiar shape. “Isn't that the sake Sulu gave you last Christmas?”

“Yes, Doctor. Most of these are gifts. I have had little use for them. But I hope you will find something to your liking.” Spock got three Vulcan cups from a higher cupboard, and poured out their choices. Then, impelled by their expectant looks, he poured a small measure into his own cup and sipped cautiously.

“Well,” McCoy sighed. “So ends the god-damnedest charade I ever saw. Spock, how the hell did you get into all that?”

“It is a rather long story.”

“We have the evening before us.”

“I must admit I'm curious too, Mr. Spock. But you don't have to tell us if you don't want to.”

“I do not object, sir, if the matter interests you.” Spock paused a moment, then began. “I heard about Captain Pike's injury shortly after it happened, but as we were then patrolling Sector IV, I could do nothing beyond sending him message tapes until you sent me to the Jon Conference. From there I took a day off and went to see him. He was in an extremely agitated frame of mind, as I discovered by melding with him. He found life under the restrictions caused by his injuries unendurable, and he begged me to find a way to kill him.”

Kirk and McCoy stirred, but Spock went on unheeding.

“This was, of course, a logical request under the circumstances. However, I had spoken with his doctor, who told me that there was some chance that the Giulini treatments, then being tested, would repair some of the damage. I communicated that possibility to Captain Pike and made him promise to give the treatments time to work. In return, I promised to come back the next time we were in the area. If he still wished it, I would take him to Vulcan.

“On Vulcan, as you may know, suicide is legal under certain conditions. If a person can prove a logical case for suicide, such as incurable, painful illness, or disability like Captain Pike's, the State will help the petitioner execute his purpose.

“When I visited Captain Pike again, I found that the Giulini treatments had proved entirely useless, and he was in despair. He reminded me of my promise. But most unfortunately, the situation in regard to Vulcan had by then changed completely.”

The Gam case,” McCoy muttered.

“Precisely, Doctor. It seemed highly unlikely that I would be allowed to take Captain Pike to Vulcan, or that any Vulcan court would hear his petition if we did present one. It seemed I could not help him. But neither could I leave him in that condition. At this juncture, I received the first message from Talos.”

“How?”

“Apparently, sir, the Talosians never relinquished their contact with Captain Pike's mind. When I melded with him, I gave them access to my mind as well. Their message was an invitation to bring the captain back to Talos. Upon reflection, I decided that this was the best possible solution. The rest, you know.”

Silence fell. McCoy got up, drink in hand, and began to wander idly around Spock's workroom. He thought over the story Spock had told, and it struck him as incomplete. “But why the charade?”

“The charade, Doctor?”

“Yes. The Court-martial. All that.”

“That was necessitated by Captain Kirk's pursuit. If everything had gone according to the original plan, none of this would ever have come out. Captain Pike would have disappeared, taken to an unknown destination by secret orders fed directly into the Enterprise computer and then erased. No one would ever have known where the ship had gone. And, Captain Kirk, I assure you no blame would have been attached to you. Your record would have been unblemished.

“How?”

“That I prefer not to discuss. However, I give you my word it is so.”

Kirk nodded curtly and began to question Spock about some of the details of his strategy. It was obvious that Starbase security was wholly ineffective against a knowledgeable senior officer, and he wanted to explore some of the loopholes Spock had discovered for future consideration. McCoy continued to prowl. The events of the past hours had shaken him severely, and the mild activity was soothing. Idly, he punched the recall on the desk reader. He read a few lines, mildly amused. Did Spock spend his free time studying the details of human psychopathology? He read a list of symptoms, and suddenly everything fell into place.

“Of course.” His voice grated a little.

“What is it, Bones?”

“That's how you were going to save Jim's reputation, isn't it, Spock?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home